Friday, April 8, 2011

The Shack

Several years ago, a woman who attended my church gave me a copy of a book called "The Shack." She told me it was great and helped her understand God and recommended it highly to me as a sort of with-it explanation of how the Trinity works. Since I had a stack of books ahead of this one on my "to read" list, I didn't get around to it. But from the moment she gave it to me, something didn't feel right. I don't doubt her sincerity. From what I recall, she was an involved person in our church, although I do not remember her name. At any rate, since that time, this small book has become a best-seller among Christians. While I still haven't read it, I have learned enough about it to know that the Spirit was pushing a caution light in my soul for a reason. From what I hear, the book masks itself as a profound understanding of the Trinity but commits some serious error doctrinally (as in goddess worship and modalism). Pastor Mark Driscoll has read the book and gives commentary at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK65Jfny70Y. I encourage you to listen. Here's a lesson on all of this. When a book or teacher comes out with a popular new way of seeing central doctrines of the Christian faith, our first instinct should be suspicious. Then we are to test the teachings according to the Word of God. "Dear friends, do not believe everyone who claims to speak by the Spirit. You must test them to see if the spirit they have comes from God. For there are many false prophets in the world." 1 John 4:1. If they pass the test of biblical accuracy, by all means, promote them. But if you're not sure, take your time and test. It's best to test.

1 comment:

  1. Pastor Rusty,
    I posted a comment but it apparently didn't get accepted. Hope this one makes it. I read the book some time ago and at the time felt it was 'bizarre' but shortly thereafter was referred to a YouTube posting by my son in California. He had attended a meeting in a home where The author gave a talk about his book. I have a DVD of that interview and it perhaps casts a little more light on what he had in mind when he wrote it. I think it is more of an allegory than a theological treatise and served more as a personal catharsis. I'll give you a copy of the DVD. It's long but perhaps worth the watch.
    CWI

    ReplyDelete